Wednesday, April 4, 2012

il Sogno - "The Dream


by Todd Wilson

Picking specs of food off of fallen garments as I walked to the hamper - I still couldn’t pull together my nights sequence of events. I remember getting ready for something and... blank! The pieces began to fall back into place as I went about my morning ritual. Did I dream of a dining event last night in Tucson where I had 6 amazing courses each designed by Tucson’s top culinary masters? No, it can’t be true.

When my partner in crime, Lindsay Glazer, stumbled into the master bedroom also commenting on an over-stretched belly I knew something had to have happened. “It isn’t just me,” I muttered under my green tea breath. The dream I had was a reality and I then remembered I could relive the experience as I had obnoxiously taken photographs of each plate while saying to Lindsay - “OH MY GAWD”.

I am not a food critic, no where close to that. I am more of a food pupil, student, lover, or wannabe foodie. Through my work I have been able to travel the world sampling some of the most amazing eats that this culinary novice could handle. SIDENOTE: I do not eat sea food - I will tell you I have allergy - but I really just can’t stand it. Sorry. Lindsay, however, loves sea food and she will be my ocean corespondent.


 The meal itself was hosted by Zona 78 and the chefs of Zona, Hacienda del Sol, and Fresh. Each chef was responsible for one course and wine pairing.  The night began with a wonderful amuse bouche (cheese wrapped with pork), followed by antipasti (burrata & locally raised pork), two pizza offerings (guanciale and roasted fig), primi (gnocchi three ways and salty squid ink pasta), secondi (black cod and rabbit two ways) and dessert (marscapone napoleon and flore di capra/ goat milk delights). Each course offered yet another adventure, taking you to the top of a volcano, then the coast of Italy and beyond. My favorite taste of the night came from the antipasti, the Burrata. The Burrata was the perfect balance of creamy cheese and a salty coat - balanced with the grilled bread, roasted garlic and greens. Although I feel it was the least complex section of the night - it was by far my favorite.


Living in Tucson I think we all look for something new, fresh and exciting to invigorate our life (translation time away from work). The best part of il Sogno was truly that, an escape, a world within our world. I commend chefs Matt Padilla, Kevin Fink and Tavel Bristol-Joseph for allowing me to feel the beauty that is Tucson, one foot in the desert and another in a dream. I will be awaiting another spectacular night from these great minds, so go now! Get to work! I will keep my ears open and try my best to keep you all in the know for the next event. Congratulations to all who made such a night possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment