Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sneak(er) of Fashion


by Addison Johnson

Sneakers are security to many dancers. In hip-hop, depending on what your speciality is, you will have a favorite style of sneaker.

If I am going into a House session or battle, I will go for a lighter shoe, most likely a low-top Vans. They are really light and make footwork faster and easier.
Now if I am B-boying, I will go with a low-top, for sure. A high-top shoe makes floor work harder to keep clean. Also, power moves are more difficult because the weight from a high-top. I prefer either my Adidas Campus's or I may even go back to my low-top Vans.

Hands down, my favorite style of shoe is a high-top Nike Dunk. I know the "official" shoe of hip-hop is an Adidas, but Nike definitely has taken over the commercial hip-hop scene. There is just something about the feeling of a pair of Nike Dunks. I remember my first pair were the Lucha Libre Edition Dunks. I still have them! I felt like I could dance better when I was wearing them; they gave me support and style. I have at least 20 different pairs of high-top Dunks.


Shoes are an essential part of every dancer's makeup. If you don't feel good in your shoes, your dancing will reflect it. It's all about what makes you feel most comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment