Thursday, May 24, 2012

Who You Are


by Sam Quinn
I debated what my next blog entry should be for a couple hours. I’ll be the first to admit, my entries have been sincerely lacking. Sincere apologies. As a way to get back on board and writing, I asked friends what they thought I should write or what they would like to read. I watched a few YouTube videos to find some inspiration and came across some political debates on the prevalent issue of gay marriage. Disgusted and hurt by some of the politician’s negligent and condescending words, I looked up the marriage definition online. I typed that word in the dictionary app on my little fancy Mac Book Pro, and came across something very inspiring and moving.

            Marriage (noun)
1.     The formal union between a man and woman, typically           recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.
a.     Similarly a long-term relationship between partners of the same sex.

In many regards, we live in a very progressive country…one that is accepting, loving, and courageous.  In other instances, it is like we are still in the dark ages.  That said, I did not expect to even see the slightest connection to gay marriage when looking up that definition. An instant smile came across my face, as it is apparent that individuals are now beginning to recognize homosexual partnerships as something more than just domestic partnerships. Gay marriage and gay rights are in the news almost daily nowadays and there are multitudes of viewpoints and stances within the marriage debate. We should all be proud of the progress made and hope that it’s only an upward growth from here. Stay optimistic, remain courageous and let’s move forward. I leave you with such an appropriate song to remind you to always be true to who you are. Life Moves, Move with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment